We have always been focused on providing strategic copywriting and marketing solutions that are a tad bit different to what eeerbody else is doing. You know us – we are all about soul, strategy and storytelling. So, with that being said – it would only make sense for us to create a practical journal to help you market your business in alignment with the phases of the moon – click here to download it. Some of you may just be wondering what on earth we are talking about, so we thought we would take a moment to break it down for you (not literally, we have never been the greatest dancers) ~
LET’S START WITH SCIENCE
Scientific studies have shown that the moon phases may affect when people buy goods and services. For example, a study published in the ‘Journal of Retailing’ found that people are more likely to make impulsive purchases during the full moon. Another study, published in the Journal of Marketing, found that people are more likely to buy luxury goods during the new moon.
Here are some possible explanations for why the moon phases may affect consumer behaviour:
- The moon phases may affect people’s emotions. Some studies have found that people are more likely to experience mood swings, anxiety, and depression during the full moon (more on this later). These heavy emotions may lead people to make impulsive purchases or to spend more money as a way to cope.
- The moon phases may affect people’s energy levels. Some studies have found that people have more energy during the new moon. This increased energy may lead people to be more active shoppers.
How the Moon Cycles Affect Melotonin and Serotonin
A study in 2013 showed that most participants slept for 20 minutes during the full moon, leading to a decrease in Melatonin, which in turn decreases serotonin (the ‘feel good’ hormone) and increases stress. Some studies have also shown a slight change in cardiovascular conditions during a full moon.
- Melatonin can increase serotonin levels in the brain. When melatonin levels are low, serotonin levels may also be low. This is because melatonin helps to regulate the production and release of serotonin.
- Melatonin can improve serotonin signaling. Melatonin can help to make serotonin receptors more sensitive to serotonin, which can improve the effectiveness of serotonin signaling.
- Melatonin can reduce stress hormone levels. Melatonin can help to reduce the levels of stress hormones such as cortisol. High levels of cortisol can interfere with serotonin signaling.
Therefore, low melatonin levels can lead to low serotonin levels, impaired serotonin signaling, and increased stress hormone levels. All of these factors can contribute to mood disorders such as depression and anxiety.
Scientific proof or the placebo effect?
I never take anything I read as pure fact, which is why we welcome The Placebo Effect into the room as another possible answer. The placebo effect occurs when a person’s physical or mental health improves or changes after believing something enough. So, if you get told enough times that the full moon will make you cranky and irritable, it maay just have an effect on you and make it bring it into reality. The cause for our change in emotional and mental behaviour during the full moon and new moon doesn’t really matter (I just love researching) – what does matter is that it happens. Tune into your mood during the moon phases and see how it shifts.
If you are planning a BIG LAUNCH, when is the best time to sell?
Research shows that buyers are more likely to say yes (and I’m talking about a full-bodied yes in the body) during the phase of the new moon. This is especially true for high ticket items and long-commitments, such as courses, memberships or programs. For businesses that sell luxury goods, consider running marketing campaigns during the new moon. This is when people are more likely to be in a buying mood for high-end items.
Impulsive buying decisions may occur during the full moon, as emotions are heightened and sometimes (even if it’s subconscious) people may make a quick decision to move away from anxiety, depression or irritability. Marketing and launching at this time may be aligned for brands who serve these needs – such pre-recorded yoga classes, tissue salts for anxiety, fashion items, jewellery. I mean, I could go on, but basically you could sell anything that would make them feel more pleasure, beauty, belonging, and excitement.
For businesses that sell products or services that require a lot of thought and planning, consider running marketing campaigns during the crescent moon or waning moon. This is when people are more likely to be in a rational and thoughtful state of mind.
Morally speaking, it’s important to launch at a time that feels good for you (but having this knowledge is power, right)? Personally, I just LOVE the idea of connecting with the wild woman within and bringing nature and the cosmos into the heart of my marketing and sales strategy.